- The Mesh
Why The Future
of Business is
- by Lisa Gansky
- View the book
The Mesh is reshaping how we go to market, who we partner with and how we invite participation and engage new customers....If you embrace the mesh you'll discover how your business can inspire customers in a world where access trumps ownership.
What is the Mesh?
by Lisa Gansky
Traditional businesses follow a simple formula: create a product or service, sell it, collect money. But in the last few years a fundamentally different model has taken root - one in which consumers have more choices, more tools, more information, and more peer-to-peer power. Pioneering entrepreneur Lisa Gansky calls it the Mesh and reveals why it will soon dominate the future of business.
Mesh companies create, share and use social media, wireless networks, and data crunched from every available source to provide people with goods and services at the exact moment they need them, without the burden and expense of owning them outright. Gansky reveals how there is real money to be made and trusted brands and strong communities to be built in helping your customers buy less but use more.
Consider the explosive growth of Zipcar. By exploiting the latest technology and making it easy and affordable to have a car whenever you need one, this young company is helping to redefine personal transportation. And deeply worrying established competitors.
Gansky shows how the same pattern is playing out with less famous Mesh companies that are reinventing an enormous range of industries:
- thredUP enables mail-in kids' clothing swaps. One year after launching, they had 10,000 members exchanging more than 14,000 items per month and currently they have an average of 1,000 moms signing up every day.
- Kickstarter connects artists who need funding with small donors who want to support them. The firm has helped hundreds of projects raise as much as $900,000 without the angst of fundraising.
- Groupon harnesses collective buying power to offer daily discounts to its five million subscribers. Roughly three years after inception, they've raised over $1.14B in funding.
In the tradition of The Long Tail, The Mesh illustrates a huge new opportunity that's already driving new businesses and renewing old ones. It's your essential guide to the new wave of information-enabled commerce that's also improving our communities and our planet.
- What is the criteria for being listed in the mesh directory?
- A Mesh company uses modern technology and social networks to provide people with goods and services without the burden and expense of owning them outright.collapse